Dark Magic refers to any type of magic that is mainly used to cause harm, control, or even death to the victim. Dark Magic encompasses many spells and actions ranging from powerful Curses to brewing harmful or poisonous potions to breeding Dark creatures such as Mandragoras.
The Dark Arts are generally regarded as corrupting to those who use them. Spells which are dark in nature will stain the soul of the Caster. Powerful dark spells require malicious intent in order to be successful. A dark spell is primarily defined as any spell that consistently affects the object in a negative manner, usually associated with varying levels of discomfort. According to Ingrid, Spells written in blood only draw blood. The dark Intent of a Spell is sealed inside a Spell-page when it is written in blood.
Some Spells can defend against Dark Magic, such as the Protection Spell that the Beauchamps used to shield themselves in Today I Am A Witch.
Known Dark Magic
- Archibald's journals- Archibald kept a series of journals which he used to record some of his most evil Spells. Many of the Spells were written in his own blood. According to Ingrid, the dark intent of a Spell is sealed within a page when it is written in blood.
- Energy Talisman- A Doll made out of the hair of a Witch/Warlock. When used this Doll drains the Witch's powers and renders them vunerable to attack.
- Malus Amplio- A powerful symbol of Dark Magic. When used or drawn, this symbol draws in dark energy and magnifies it.
- The King's Symbol- This Symbol was carved into the Chest of multiple victims by The Mandragora in order to bring back King Nikolaus.
Some magical creatures and beings alike may be considered Dark. For example:
- Mandragoras- Although these Creatures are mostly Feral, King Nikolaus was able to capture, train and build an army of these creatures.
- Ghosts - Although these beings are not inherently evil, they do have the ability to kill via their use of Electrokinesis.